NOTICE OF THE PROTECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
(Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013)
- As you may might know, the Protection of Personal Information Act (No: 4 of 2013) (“POPIA”) will came into the full force of law on 1 July 2021. Under POPIA, we have a further responsibility to ensure that we collect, use, share and protect your personal information in the manner prescribed.
- As part of our trust relationship with you, we are publishing this notice to explain how we will comply with the provisions of the POPIA collect and process your personal Information in compliance with the POPIA.
2. What is personal information
Personal information is any information relating to you (whether you are a natural or juristic person). Such personal information may, for example, be information about your: race, gender, marital status, nationality, age, language, identity number, telephone number, email, postal or street address, financial, criminal, business or employment history.
3. The personal information we collect and process
3.1. We collect and process your personal information in relation to the insurance service that we provide to you.
3.2. We collect information directly from you when you engage our services ,complete our client mandate submit enquiries or contact us for any other reason.
3.3. We will process your personal information for the purpose that we have initially collected it, unless need to use it for another purpose compatible with its original collection or process such personal information and make it available to third parties under an obligation of law.
4. How we process your personal information
4.1. We will use / share your personal information only for the purpose of providing insurance services and related products to you and for the purpose for which it was collected or agreed with you, for example:
4.1.1. administer your policy;
4.1.2. process claims;
4.1.3 assist with policy renewal;
4.1.4 interaction with your insurance broker;
4.1.5 interaction with your insurer;
4.1.3. to draft documents;
4.1.4. to comply with regulatory requirements;
4.1.6. to share your personal information with service providers with whom we have an agreement to assist us with administering your policy, offer related policy services and processing of claims.
4.1.7 Interactions with service providers that offer insurance and value-added products.
4.1.8 We may also disclose your personal information where we have a legal obligation or duty to disclose such, or where it is necessary to protect our legal rights.
We ensure that all our service providers comply POPIA to safeguard your personal information.
5. How we secure your information
We have established reasonable security measures to protect your personal information from being accidentally lost, used, altered, disclosed or accessed in an unauthorised way. In addition, we have imposed appropriate security, privacy and confidentiality obligations on them to ensure the security of the personal information that we remain responsible for.
6. How long do we keep your personal information for?
6.1 We will keep your personal information for as long as it is necessary to fulfil the purposes, we need it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, regulatory, tax, accounting or reporting requirements.
6.2 We will, after the purpose is achieved for which we needed your personal information, be delete such from our practice environment permanently.
7. Your legal rights
7.1. You can:
7.1.1. request access to the personal information we hold about you;
7.1.2. ask us to update, correct or delete it.
7.1.3. object to the processing of your personal information.
7.1.4 Please note that even if you object, we may be compelled by law to continue processing your information. In such an instance, we will demonstrate our obligation before continuing to process your information.
7.1.5 request that we suspend the processing of your personal information in the following situations:
- If you want us to establish the information’s accuracy;
- If our use of the information is unlawful, but you do not want us to delete it;
- You have objected to the use of your information, but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it. Under certain circumstances, you can also request a transfer of your personal data to you or a third party. We will provide your personal information in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. You have the right to unsubscribe from any direct marketing communication we send you.
7.2. Please note that we may decline your request to delete your personal information if we are required to keep it in terms of other legislation or if it has been de-identified.
8. International transfers
Where it is necessary to use international service providers, we may share your personal information with third parties outside of South Africa. Whenever we transfer your personal information out of South Africa, we will ensure that anyone with whom we share your personal information will treat it with the same level of protection that we are obliged to.
9.1 If you are unhappy with how we have used your personal information and believe it to be contrary to the provisions set out in the POPIA , please get in touch with us immediately.
9.2 If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Regulator using the contact details listed below.
- Tel: +27 12 406 4818
- E-mail: email@example.com